April 10, 2010

Concentration Camp

I visited my first concentration camp yesterday, Buchenwald. I don't really know what to say about it. I am still trying to process it. It was not an extermination camp, it was a work camp but plenty of people still died there (the goal was to work them to death). I think the thing that got me the most was the "doctors office". New inmates would come in, and go see the doctor. If they were sick in any way or had already been tagged to die, while they were measuring them (one of those you stand under and the piece slides down on top of your head and then you step out) a slit would be opened from the next room and they would shoot them in the neck so they would never even see it coming.

I don't even have the words to describe.

I have some pictures ill put up later, don't worry nothing bad. If I didn't tell you it was a concentration camp you would never know, most of the place is in ruins there are only a few buildings stills standing.

On a happier note, today is Saxon singing! Tomorrow is church and then Joseph, who was a former AIM student in France somehow ended up in Chemnitz as an english teacher, is having his birthday and "come see my new apartment" party!

Oh yea, thats another german thing, when you move, you host your own open house type thing for people to come see your new place once your all settled! Kinda cool!

Be good and do good!

Sarah B

The world is a dangerous place. Not because of the people who are evil; but because of the people who don't do anything about it. ~Albert Einstein

1 comment: