December 23, 2009

A Heart Divided

It has defiantly been eye opening living in a foreign country. Not only am I constantly aware of my own habits, which I would have never even noticed before coming here, but I am utterly aware of the habits of others. I contribute this new awareness to two different source; first, I never really cared in the states, I didn't really have time to, and second, everyone is always watching so if i do something "odd" it is inevitably seen and repeated by someone else.

Since when is being "normal" a good thing? I don't want to be just like everyone else. Who does? I mean, in some aspects, we all do so we can be accepted, that is the very core of human nature. But at the same time, as a Christian, we are called to be different. To be radically different.

I was listening to a podcast today, one of my favorite authors who is a preacher at a large church in LA and he was talking about prayer. He started by prefacing with something along the lines of, "If your hoping to leave here today with a better prayer life, then I have failed you and you have failed yourself." I found that kind of odd, and intriguing, so I kept listening. The main point of the sermon was not that we should pray more because that is our communication with God. Rather, that when we pray, we should pray with the heart and attitude that God should use us for whatever it is we are praying about. If we pray for someone because they are sick, pray and ask how it is you can be of help to that person, or to the family. If it is about world hunger, ask and actively look for solutions to help end world hunger.

I found this particular lesson to be very inspiring. I never really thought of prayer that way. Its always been in my mind, for some reason, that asking God to comfort and be with the families going through hard times is enough. Ive never really thought to pray and ask how I can be of service for that family. That takes to much time.

The other main point in the sermon was that a lot of different religions pray. What sets Christians apart? It is supposed to be the idea that we pray, and then people see God through our actions. Without a doubt. Duh! That was kind of an "ah-ha!" moment for me. I know that, but ive never really thought of prayer that way. As an active part on my side.

I was going to look for a quote and just saw this as a facebook status update: "Seeing homeless people always makes me sad that I cant help them, stupid poorness". Why cant you? And this is a guy I went to OC with... there are so many things wrong with that statement it just gets my blood boiling reading it!

Just food for thought.

Be good and do good!

Sarah B

Quote: One never knows what the rising sun will bring with it. Each day is a new adventure. The trick is to be open and ready for anything! ~ Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment