December 27, 2009

Christmas Time










As anyone can imagine, the holidays are a tough time to not be with family. This year was no exception. I was able to see everyone and speak with family via webcam, that defiantly helped! The Sullivans were kind enough to open up their home to us for the holidays, so we joined their family for many of their traditions.

Christmas eve I went to a traditional Christmas play that is put on by the evangelic churches. Each community church will put on the reenactment of the nativity scene with members, this year my friend Steffi was playing Mary. I went and met up with Jessi, Steffi's sister who is going through confirmation for their church, and Sussanne and her family. Ceili was also there with her host family. It seemed like people just poured out of their homes and into this beautiful old church. I was a bit lost with the play though... which is kinda hard because the nativity scene hasn't changed in roughly 2000 years lol. It was great though, Steffi didnt a wonderful job as Mary!

After the play I came back and we all went on the Christmas eve drive through the mountains. We saw all the little villages with their lights in the windows and even spotted Santa twice! Santa walks the streets here, and knocks on the door to deliver presents. And Santa is skinny.... Anyways, we drove to a little castle and took a group pic and then had a little snow ball fight. It was delightful! After that we went back to the house for fondu. This was my first fondu experience. It was pretty cool. Still not sure exactly how I feel about it, but it was cool!

Marc and Karen stayed with me over christmas night, we popped popcorn and watched Santa Clause 3. The next morning we got up and made our meals for Christmas lunch. I made sweet-potato pie again! After lunch we all opened presents. We drew names between us all. I got Tiffany, and Marc or Karen (im not sure which one) got me. I got Tiff some movies and Marc and Karen got me a POPCORN MACHINE!!!!! YAY!!!!!!

I came back to my apartment and skyped family for a few hours and then went back to the Sullivans to watch a movie. We popped some delicious popcorn in my new machine and watched Swiss Family Robinson.

Saturday we all got back together for left overs for lunch and then went out to a little castle not far from Chemnitz and went for a walk. We came back and had coffee and then enjoyed our evenings!

If you didnt pick up on it, Christmas is 3 days here, the 24, 25, and 26th. Everything starts to shut down on the 24th. Most everything is closed by 4 pm.

So here are some pictures of the traditional Christmas things I have been blogging about.

Since i cant see the pictures until i publish the blog im shooting in the dark, I dont remember the order.
One is Steffi and I in Dresden, one is the Christmas tree at the train station in Dresden.
One is the advent candles all lit.
One is a group picture of our german class- not everyone but the cool ones :).
One is also Sven giving me a "high five!"
The streets of Leipzig when Ceili and I went on our adventure.
A schwipbogen in the window.


Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

Be good and do good!

Sarah B

Quote: "Dont ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up." G.K. Chersterton.

No comments:

Post a Comment