December 16, 2009

The Deeper Meaning


These past few days have brought a lot to talk about!

We will start with Silke, one of my readers. Silke (pronounced Silk-a) is about my moms age and has 2 kids around my age. She speaks english very well but is not very confident in her speaking skills but is very willing to learn. As we began today, we were sitting in the church kitchen and drinking our tea, talking about our weeks, when Silke said she had a Christmas present for me. Taken back, I told her she did not need to get me anything, and she laughed and said she had some free time and threw something together. So i graciously thanked her for the gift and asked if it was alright to open it, she told me it was. I pulled out a twig first, and looked at it and thanked her. She then laughed, said it was decoration, and that I should keep going. So i reached in and pulled out some candy, and we repeated the process of thank you, and keep going. Out came a chocolate Santa... the same again, thanks, keep going. Next was a yellow box. I thanked her for the gift, as I looked at it, having no idea what it was... Then finally asked, what is it? She laughed and said I should open the box, so I did, only to pull out a yellow tube that looked like glue or paint.... so I asked her again, what it was. She laughed and said she didnt know the word in english. So i pulled the black cap off and put a little on the box. "Glue!" I shouted triumphantly! "Yes, glue!" she responded with a large smile on her face. I looked at her, smiling, not sure exactly what kind of gift glue was, and thanked her again.... Again, she laughed and told me to keep going. So i reached in one last time, to pull out a container of toothpicks. "Thanks!" I said, smiling and laughing nervously, having no idea what this gift meant.... She looked at me, still gleaming, and said, "You can make a star!" I looked at her, confusion clouding my face, "Now?" "Yes, now." So I looked at her again, trying to tell if she was serious, which she was, so I pulled out a piece of paper and tried to draw a version of a star I had seen of Karens that she had received as a gift. She laughed and said, "Yes, you could do that.... or you could try this..." and then she reached back and grabbed another bag, and pulled out a large star made out of toothpicks!

There is what the paper version looks like, which I did receive one of those a few weeks ago as well from the older couple I read with!

The reading with Silke went very well, we talked about the story where the woman washes Jesus' feet with her hair and tears. We talked more about human nature and what it takes for someone to ask for help and why people do not want to admit that they are weak. It was a very good, deep conversation. I was also asked what a sinner was today. I forget that those are church terms and people dont know what they mean. Which I also found interesting, because Silke has a basic knowledge of Bible stories and went to church with her grandma as a kid. So she recognizes the stories, but doesn't always understand the entire meaning... but then again, who does?! I think I am going to get her a BIble as a gift for Christmas, she was telling me her daughter took hers when she moved to Denmark, so that could be a good gift for her....

I made an apple pie tonight! I enjoy baking, and this will be the first time most of the people in my German class have ever had an apple pie! German is almost over!!! Well, the first class anyways. Friday is our last day, but we are having a party tomorrow and then going to the Christmas market together on Friday. Everyone is supposed to being something from their native country, so it will be interesting to see what all everyone brings! I'm brining an apple pie and tiffany is bringing chips and cheese dip! We'll see what everyone thinks!

Tomorrow I am also going to Dresden to visit Steffi! I try to spend time with everyone one on one and not just group time. So tomorrow is Steffi day! She is going to show me around and we will visit the Christmas market!!! YAY!!!! I got a coat this week! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It also started to snow this week! We have gotten more snow, enough to cover the ground and make it slick. It is supposed to continue snowing until Christmas eve! Ill post pictures when we get a bit more out!

Thats all for now... I know im forgetting something, but so goes life! Oh, I have been getting Christmas cards from friends :), that always makes me happy! A little homesick because thanksgiving was always our friend time. We would make time after we all got back from thanksgiving to do a friend thanksgiving and Christmas together. So goes life though, I love experiencing the new culture and what Christmas has to offer here! I'll only get to experience it one more time!

Be good and do good!

Sarah B

Quote: True humility is intelligent self respect which keeps us from thinking too highly or too meanly of ourselves. It makes us modest by reminding us how far we have come short of what we can be. ~ Ralph Sockman

No comments:

Post a Comment