July 12, 2010

I Don't Know How To Sing...

I went to Leipzig this weekend for worship on Sunday. Morgan, Sven and I all rode the train over and met Mark and Karen there. They had an LST walk in not long ago, a lonely woman. She is from Russia and doesn't really have any friends. She recently starting reading some of the LST material. She came to worship Sunday night.

We started off with some songs, and as we picked up the EBS (english bible study) folders that we sing out of, I realized there were not enough for everyone (all 6 of us!) to have one, so I scooted closer to her so we could share. She said, "No, I'm not going to sing." It took me off guard, so I said ok, and settled back into my chair. Karen asked her, "Why don't you want to sing?" "I don't know how to sing..." Then of course Mark piped up, "Thats ok, I don't know how either!" And we all got a good laugh and so she decided she would try.

We started to sing a few songs, and we also had a few english hymnals. We were singing, "Oh God, you are my God, and I will ever praise you.... step by step you lead me, and I will follow you all of my days" Well, the way the song is written, you sing the first 2 lines, the chorus the 3rd line and then the chorus again. Of course, our new guest didn't know this. We also didn't have a real song leader among us. So when it was time to transition to the next line before the chorus, we all kind of waited to see who would start it off. Keep in mind this was maybe a second at most- but our guest, she just kept right on going with the chorus! Of course we all immediately jumped in and just went with it!

Wow! here is this woman, who has just walked in and hardly knows any of us, says she doesn't know how to sing, and she is singing the gospel songs that we have heard all of our lives as we all sit there. I have to admit, I felt a bit, I don't know, ashamed isn't the right word, just disappointed in myself I guess.

Its different being in Europe, in the states, if someone doesn't know something biblical, including myself, you don't announce it, you just do your best to figure it out and then maybe ask someone on the side. But not here, people have no reservations asking questions and wanting to understand! Its truly amazing!

Wow.

Be good and do good,

Sarah B

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, "who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous?" Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people wont feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. ~ Marianne Williamson

No comments:

Post a Comment