September 20, 2010

Reverse Culture Shock

There have been a few moments since i've been back when I have had some reverse culture shock.

My first night back, I went to walmart and looked up and down the drink isle for about 5 minutes until I realized that really was the size of the sodas. The next day I held on to my dads recliner for dear life as I sunk down into it! That evening at church I kept trying to shake peoples hands. I defiantly said "guten appetite" after the prayer a few times.

I was taken back the other day, a pleasant surprise. I was out at the lake fishing and lady (my dog) was wading around not far from me. The circkets were chirping and the wind was blowing on a beautiful oklahoma evening. I realized how absolutly amazing it was. How simple life can be.

Life is simple and pleasant in different ways all over the world. The evening at the lake is a lot like coffee time in germany, just a time to relax and take everything in. Both different, yet very much the same.

I have enjoyed my furlough, it has been extremely busy but also very nice to see family and friends. Last night I went out and laid in the bed of a truck with some of my closest friends just chatted and star gazed for hours. Its moments like that when I wish I could bottle them and keep that moment in time just as it was.

At the same time, I went to my nephews cross country track meet last week and watching him cross the finish line i had to fight back the tears. It all hit me at once how much he had grown in the past year, he not only grew physically and got a deeper voice, but he gave his life to christ just a few months ago. To see the change in one short year just took my by surprise all at once.

Moments like that, while they are special, are very hard. Oh the emotional roller coaster of getting to see people you love. As much as I want to cherish the time I have with them, I also find myself doing a count down and thinking about having to say goodbye again.

Fundraising is going better. I have gotten a few more monthly donations as well as some more from memorial, there was a problem but we got it all figured out!

Have a wonderful week! Be good and do good!

Sarah B

So many faces in and out of my life; some will last, some will be just now and then. Life is a series of hellos and good byes. I'm afraid it's time for goodbye again. ~unknown

1 comment:

  1. So you got the money problem figured out? Hooray!

    Also, I LOVE this song!

    ReplyDelete